Hearts of Palm Salad
For some time, the Hearts of Palm Salad was completely off my mind, and I had forgotten all about it. This was until last February, when my friend Sonia came down from New York to visit me and introduced me to Leticia, one of her local friends. She made a very special dinner for Sonia and was kind enough to invite my son and I to join them. That ended being such a memorable night! We had a superb dinner and I met an extraordinary woman. Today, I’m very happy to have her as a guest on the blog to share her recipe for Hearts of Palm Salad. You guys are going to love it! It is very easy to make and has an exquisite taste.
Leticia Alaniz Cano is a filmmaker, still photographer, a gourmet, and cultural writer in diverse topics in film studies and the gastronomies of the world. She was born and raised in Allende, Nuevo León, Mexico. Her extensive travels have led her to an appreciation of diverse cuisines and a love for cooking. In 2016, Leticia opened Noche Underground Dinner Club, a “paladar” as they’re known in Latin America, welcoming guests with a discriminating palate for unique dishes in a private setting. She’s a firm believer and stays true to the words of one of her most admired actors, Vincent Price: “A man who limits his interests limits his life.”
Hearts of palm are the tender shoots of the palm tree’s inner core. You can find them sold in cans at your local grocery store in the condiment or gourmet section. In Mexico, they’re eaten on their own as an appetizer, in salads and stews, served with lime juice and powdered pepper, and even prepared as a dessert. To obtain the heart of palm, the outer layers of the palm are removed until the soft and white center is reached. Palmitos, as they are called in Spanish, have a mild taste, sort of like a mix of artichoke and jicama.
And now, to the recipe:
Hearts of Palm Salad
- 400g./14 oz. can of Hearts of Palm, drained and cut into large pieces
- 1 large (or 2 small) shallots, sliced in rings
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 4 Roma Tomatoes, sliced lengthwise in thick pieces
- 3 – 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 Habanero pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 bunch of cilantro (about 1/2 cup), chopped
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of capers, drained
For the vinaigrette:
- Juice of 1 large (or 2 small) limes
- 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Look for the Hearts of Palms in the condiments section of your local supermarket or you can buy them ONLINE.
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients to make the vinaigrette.
2. In a larger bowl, mix together all the salad ingredients.
3. Next, pour the vinaigrette over the salad and gently mix well so as not to blemish the pieces.
4. Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt right before serving. Serve immediately and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this delicious salad.
Don’t forget to share on your Social Channels, and if you make the recipe come back to let me know about your experience with the recipe.