- 1 kilo of All purpose flour
- 1/4 of a kilo Vegetable Shortening
- Hot water as needed
- A dash of baking powder
- A pinch of salt.
Some cooks will omit the baking powder.
At the end of the post, you will find the new video with instructions to make 8 flour tortillas.
Makes 10 (10 in.) Tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour, plus extra to form tortillas.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 Cup shortening or Lard
- 1 cup hot water * See Note
4. Divide the dough into 10 pieces rolling every piece on your work surface with the palm of your hand to form a little disk. We call these “testales”.
5. Cover the “Testales” in a damped kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and let the dough rest for 30-45 minutes.
6. After the resting period, place an ungreased griddle/comal over medium heat. Grab your Rolling Pin to start forming the tortillas on a lightly floured surface. If you add too much flour to the surface your tortillas will be dry.
7. To form the tortillas place the “testal” (ball of dough)onto the working area and press slightly with your hand, set the rolling pin at the center of the “testal” and press forward without making it to the edge and then press backward towards yourself stopping before the edge. Turn the tortilla 45 degrees (like a half turn) and repeat pressing forward and then towards you. Flip the tortilla and repeat the same process until you have a thin disk of about 10 inches. If you are new to rolling tortillas, be patient, it takes a little practice.
8. Now, place the tortilla in your already hot Griddle or comal. This step is a really quick one: be careful with your timing. a) During the first 20 to 30 seconds, the tortilla starts forming air bubbles and light brown spots will show at the bottom side of the tortilla, b) turn the tortilla, and during the next 20 seconds, more air bubbles will continue to form. c) turn again; at this time the tortilla will puff up like in the picture above. This last step will take about 10 seconds. Remove the tortilla and wrap with a kitchen towel. Keep making the rest of the tortillas.